The Connector June 2017

Welcome to The Connector website! Please have a look around.

ad1
Container gardening answer to fresher food

A heartfelt campaign

By Moneca Jantzen

As February is Heart and Stroke month, it seems fitting to catch up with Al Patel, owner of Scott’s Inn and Restaurant and one of the founders of the ICCHA/Wish Fund. Established in 2007 in an effort to improve healthcare excellence in Kamloops and at Royal Inland Hospital (RIH), ICCHA means “wish.”

“When someone is sick, we wish them well, but that is not good enough. We must do more!” implores Patel, reciting part of the organization’s mission statement.

The founders of ICCHA/Wish Fund were partly inspired by a sense that RIH was being left behind in comparison to Kelowna. Not only had Kelowna been given the once promised to Kamloops cancer clinic, they had also won the specialized cardiac program.

“This made me and Dr. Bas Gowd furious. Thus started our journey to give our community what Interior Health failed to provide,” said Patel.

Read more

Legion 52 celebrates 90th anniversary in June

Fuoco family’s 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard Six sedan brought back to life

By Dick Parkes, Kamloops Chapter, Vintage Car Club of Canada

In 1913, three brothers, Benny, Domenic, and Giacamo Fuoco landed in Kamloops from Italy. Within two years they had put down roots and Benny and Domenic established the Model Bakery at 640 Lorne Street.The bakery operated from that location until the mid 30s when it was moved to the building at the corner of First Avenue and Seymour Street. Both of these buildings survive today and the Lorne Street property is still owned by the Fuoco family.

We have been unable to establish exactly the early history of our subject vehicle, a 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard Six sedan, but one of our members of the Kamloops Chapter of the Vintage Car Club of Canada (VCCC) remembers the vehicle from the early 50s. He used to live on the north side of the 300 block of Seymour Street (still residential houses at the time) and the car was stored in a garage across the alley behind the Mallery Drug Store at 227 Victoria Street. Our member was offered the car but he turned it down and it is assumed that when Benny Fuoco bought the drug store property, the car came along as part of the transaction

Read more

BOOK THIS AD SPACE!